We started with a simple course of salume…
- slices of La Quercia Lomo (which turns out to be not just a Spanish thing, viz. lonza di maiale stagionata) from Whole Foods, drizzled with a very small amount of a very good olive oil, Campania D.O.P. Penisola Sorrentina ‘Syrenum’
- arugula from Alewife Farm, dressed with the same oil, Maldon salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- slices of an ‘olive demi baguette’ from Hot Bread Kitchen in the Greenmarket
…and finished with a simple course of pasta.
10 ounces of Afeltra pasta di gragnano fusilli con buco from Eataly, cooked al dente, served with a simple fresh sauce which began with 3 minced cloves of garlic from Race Farm added to a bit of olive oil insiode a large enameled cast iron pot with at least 2 cups of tender garlic scapes from Berried Treasures Farm, cut into 2-inch lengths, sautéed for 3-4 minutes, part of one Chinese cucumber from Norwich Meadows Farm, sliced into bite-size pieces, sautéed in olive oil in a separate pan until lightly browned added to the pot, then a little butter and most of the juice of one organic lemon added to the pan, the drained pasta tossed in, along with the zest from that same lemon once the butter had melted and a little chopped peppermint from Lani’s Farm, everything stirred over low heat, during which time some reserved cooking water was added to help emulsify it, seasoned with salt and pepper, and scattered with purple micro radish sprouts from Windfall Farms
- the wine throughout the meal was an Italian (Umbria, Orvieto) white, Castagnolo Secco Classico Superiore ‘Barberani’ 2014
- the music was Q2 Music, streaming, and included Esa-Pekka Salonen’s ‘Five Images After Sappho’, with Dawn Upshaw, which can be heard here