Basically there was nothing really new for us here, except for just about all of the additives in all 3 parts of this entrée. Otherwise I think the picture above pretty much covers the story.
- four skate wings from Pura Vida Fisheries, about 13 ounces altogether, coated all over with a coarse polenta which had been seasoned with salt and pepper, sautéed in olive oil (and a bit of butter) for 3 or so minutes on each side (the difficult part is turning them over without breaking them up), removed from the pan, the pan wiped with a paper towel, about 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter, chopped shallots from John D. Madura Farm, and 2 small cloves of garlic from Alewife Farm, sliced introduced into it and stirred over a now-lowered flame, followed by the addition of a little more butter, the juice from half of an organic lemon, chopped lovage from Keith’s Farm, and a scattering of micro beet ‘greens’ from Two Guys from Woodbridge
- six tiny new potatoes (probably red Norland) from Central Valley Farm, scrubbed, boiled -unpeeled – until tender, drained, halved, and returned to the warm pan, tossed with rich ‘Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter‘, salt, pepper, scissored garlic chives from Lani’s Farm, and chopped fennel fronds from Tamarack Hollow Farm
- a mix of tiny tomatoes from Alewife Farm, halved, tossed with olive oil, Maldon salt, freshly-chopped Tellicherry pepper, torn basil leaves from Sycamore Farms, a little good Campania olive oil, D.O.P. Penisola Sorrentina “Syrenum”, and a few drops of white balsamic vinegar
- the sauces and drippings remaining were all too fine to leave on the plate, so we ended the course with two thin slices of ‘Compagne’, a traditional sourdough bread, from Bien Cuit Bakery via Foragers Market
- the wine was a French (Languedoc) rosé, Domaine L’Ostal Cazes Rosé 2015
- the music was Handel’s ‘Giulio Cesare in Egitto’, Marc Minkowski conducting Les Musiciens du Louvre, with Marijana Mijanovic, Magdalena Kozená, Sofie von Otter, Charlotte Hellekant, Bejun Mehta, Alan Ewing, Pascal Bertin, and Jean-Michel Ankaoua, among others